Recipe by Brenna May @culturedbite
It would be modest to say I have a tahini addiction. It is probably on par with my love of chocolate and coffee. Or coffee and chocolate. No matter. I have been looking to make my very own tahini cookie for ages now… and this is an evolution of my tahini freezer bites. An evolution because they are much more of a cookie. Chewy, subtly sweet and chocolatey.
I love how they have hints of the middle east in their flavor, which can be enhanced by adding cardamom, or by taking out the and chocolate chips and adding dried cranberries or chopped dates in their place.
You can make these vegan by making a flax egg (1 Tbsp flax meal + 3 Tbsp water) Be sure to mix it and pop it in the fridge for 15 minutes or you will have a pile of crumbles. Replace the collagen with a quarter the amount of Maca, Pea Protein or a blend of the two. I would not recommend a chia meal egg because it messes with the color and flavor too much, but I have not tried a whole chia egg.
One of my kids had a clear preference for the pea protein version while the other two favor the Maca. I use a blend of Red and Black Maca but yellow will work here as well. Maca lends a lovely malted flavor to the cookie and we often sub out the collagen in favor of it. My children are unabashedly disapproving of tahini except in hummus but they don’t really notice in the maca version.
I tried these out on a hoard of “normal children” who are accustomed to eating store bought cookies and they gobbled them up and verbalized their approval so we will just consider that a win.
Tahini chocolate chip cookies
Mini Batch: makes 4-6 cookies
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 scoops collagen peptides /4Tbsp (sub with 1 Tbsp Maca or pea protein)
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- A pinch to 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pure monk extract powder (slightly heaping)
- 12 drops liquid stevia drops or 1/4 teaspoon pure stevia powder (optional, but leave in for vegan version)
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
Standard Batch: makes 12-24 cookies
- 3/4 cup mixed tahini
- 3 humane free range hen eggs
- 1 level teaspoon monkfruit powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pink salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or paste
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup (6 scoops) collagen peptides powder
- 1/2 cup Lily’s dark chocolate chips
- Mix tahini and egg/flax egg with monkfruit and stevia
- Add baking soda, pink salt, vanilla and mix
- Add collagen or maca/pea protien and mix
- Add coconut flour and mix.
- Fold in Lily’s chocolate chips or fresh cranberries
- Form into balls and flatten
- Bake in preheated oven at 325°F for 10 min
*If using a food processor just add all ingredients except for the coconut flour and chocolate chips and blend until smooth, then blend in the coconut flour and fold in the chips.