As promised, I’m posting some of my family recipes in the absence of my ability to be creative with my own food at the moment… you know… the stuff I can actually eat.
This is a thin pancake, much like a cross between crepes and American pancakes. We developed the recipe in the US originally and our kids loved it with fine ground einkorn flour or Bob’s Red Mill White Pastry Flour. When we moved to Ireland it just would not turn out. I think I made 8 batches before we figured out how it would work with the local flour and super creamy milk. Eventually, we ditched the milk for milk kefir (a bit like buttermilk) and settled on a fine ground white spelt flour. Now that we are back in the States I have gone back to my favorite Jovial Einkorn flour. It is sometimes out of stock through Jovial so I will from time to time pick it up from Thrive Market. I can’t currently eat grains but when I was having all the autoimmune flare ups early on it was the flour that I could eat without pain and inflammation. I have become extremely carbohydrate sensitive in the past couple years, due to a little known protozoa I am currently fighting, called blastocystis hominus, which I have had since my first real trip overseas by myself as an exchange student in High School. Bummer really… but I’m working on that and hope to get back to the Einkorn one day. I whip these up in my Vitamix in a matter of minutes and pour them onto a large cast iron griddle or these crepe pans, which have proven to distribute heat the best over burners.
In the meantime, this is our family favorite pancake recipe… and it is bellissima.
Love to you and let me know if you have any questions!
Cultured Einkorn Kefir Pancakes
- Bowl & whisk or high powered blender
- cast iron griddle
- 114 g Grass fed butter 1 american stick or 1/2 european block
- 1 cup milk kefir buttermilk will work
- 2 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 3 cups Einkorn flour (or white spelt)
- We do this in a Vitamix so I melt the butter on the cast iron griddle in a metal measuring cup and then throw in everything at once and blitz it.
Bowl and Whisk or Mixer Method:
- Preheat your pancake griddle (or cast iron crepe pans as we do) to medium heat.
- Soften the butter first (I put mine on the stove to melt).
- Add the milk or kefir and water.
- Add the eggs and mix.
- Add the butter, baking powder, soda and salt, lemon and vanilla.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add the sifted flour and mix until smooth. Any flour works, but you will need to adjust the milk/water ratio to suit.
- Pour the batter onto the pre-heated pans or griddle and cook until bubbling. Flip and repeat. They should look golden brown. Repeat until done! Fill and roll them with yogurt and fruit, maple syrup, lemon and sugar, or our kids favorite, nutella.