Since my diagnosis with Hashimoto’s I’ve had to avoid a lot of things I love. I can’t say ketchup is up there at the top but I do like it once in a while with truffle salted sweet potato fries. As nightshades are no longer on the menu ketchup is out. Which would be no great loss but for those fries! I did a bit of fiddling with my fermented tomato sauce recipe and came up with this. I think you’ll like it. There are some options… and yes. I went for the truffle salt in this ferment and it is truly delish. But let me know what you think!
- 1-2 beetroot (about 1 cup chopped)
- 1 Small or 1/2 Medium Organic Onion
- 1 small green apple
- 1 Tbsp unsulphured raisins or 1 fresh plum or 1 rip fig (I used a fig)
- 3 Garlic Cloves or 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup fermented onion brine
- 1/4 cup Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/8 cup pure maple syrup, raw honey or ¼ cup date paste (I used date paste)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 tsp pink salt or truffle salt
- 1/2 tsp organic allspice
- 1/2 tsp organic cloves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Dice the beetroot and roast in the oven at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Sanitize your jar & lid in the oven at 180°F for five minutes.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor, blender or Vitamix (chop first if you’re using a normal blender) and puree, then transfer to a 1.5 Liter fermenting jar with air lock or a swing/clip top 1.5 Liter Jar. Leave for 2-4 days on the counter to ferment.